Monday 20 May 2013

Vegan Hollandaise


I tried a recipe that involved blending tofu with lemon juice and mustard and I wasn't really happy with the result. I added things and in the end what I had was more like fake tuna than hollandaise. It tasted good but wasn't what I wanted. So I bought this fancy stuff called "Kala Namak", salt with some sulfur, which is supposed to make things taste like egg and made a hollandaise with it. According to my mum it's better than the original, but I wouldn't want to claim that myself. Still, I'm pleased!


Makes 3-4 one-person-servings

 You need to have:

1tbsp margarine
1 1/2 tbsp flour
200ml soy milk
50-100ml white wine
1tbsp lemon juice
1tsp mustard
1 good pinch nutmeg
1 pinch Kala Namak
pepper to taste


You need to do:

Melt margarine in a saucepan, then stir in the flour. Let simmer (on low heat) for a few minutes. Add soy milk and white wine and let simmer for another 5-6 minutes for the alcohol to go away. 

Add lemon juice, mustard, nutmeg and Kala Namak. Add pepper to taste. Serve with asparagus and potatoes (or whatever else you like).

No comments:

Post a Comment